Tuesday, June 29, 2004

so how did it the votes tally in my family?

dad: green
me: green
step-sister: green
grandmother: liberal
step-mom: liberal
mom: liberal
sister: ndp

my sister really surprises me, and if anyone's met my sister, it'd surprise you too...in fact, i'm surprised she even voted, but good for her nonetheless! the conversation i had over the phone with her and my mom really did it for me:

STEVOS: so who'd she vote for?
DR. MOM: the NDP!!!
DR. STEVOS: the NDP??? my god! (aside) hey dad, she voted NDP!!!
MOM: she didn't even know the name of the candidate in the riding!
SIS (overheard in background): mom, i care more about the future of this country than someone's name!

good point!

*****

let's take a look at me and my dad's predictions, written shortly after the atlantic vote counts, and see how they stack up to the results (actuals in brackets):



LIBS 90 (135)

CONS 88 (96)

NDP 58 (22)

BLOC 70 (54)

GREEN 2 (0)

OTHER 0 (1)

the explanation for our deviations: we overestimated the success of the NDP in ontario and the bloc in quebec. we predicted something like 22 seats in ontario for the NDP, and they only walked off with 7.

what did we learn?

"there'll be one poll on june 28th that'll tell us the real story, and that'll be the federal election."
- stephen harper, 2004

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my family is exactly like yours, in fact my family is yours! dr. MOM loves you, but paranoid as she is, worries a lot about privacy and is thinking about posting a disclaimer on this very site.

Blog Archive